I decided that I was going to start purchasing things I wanted to that made my days a little better. Not BIG things, but small things.
Example: Flavored Spring Water (grape is my fav), and Extra Watermelon Chewing Gum. I purchased a case of the waters, and 3 15stick packs of the gum (I figured I'd end up having to share with someone, and I don't share well).
So, back to the story. I come home with the gum, smacking on 2 pieces that I "treated" myself to, when my smallest little Anna says "Wat That"? I played it off like I didn't know what in the heck she was talking about.
Anna: In your mouth?
Me: Where?
Anna: Right there?
Me: I don't see anything in my mouth.
Anna: You got gum. (in here cute little 3 year old voice)
Caroline: I Want some!
Anna: Me too!
So I am thinking in my head
1. They now know that I have gum.
2. They will always know I have gum.
3. They will go in my purse to find the gum and eat it all.
4. I will have to share because I am busted.
5. I don't like to share.( But it is my kids, and they like gum).
Anyway, I made them get in front of me and hold up their hand and repeat:
"I Anna and Caroline promise that I will not take the gum out of my mouth, I made them say it 3 times, then, I Anna and Caroline PROMISE that I will not touch the gum with my fingers, I Caroline and Anna PROMISE not to get the gum in my hair because I am not to take it out of my mouth with my fingers, I Anna and Caroline Promise not to swallow the gum. I PROMISE.
They at this point were laughing, but I was serious.
I forgot one, I anna and Caroline PROMISE not to go into mommy's pocketbook and get any gum, or anything else out of the pocketbook, and not to ask mommy for any gum, and she is to only give you gum when she wants to and when you are good, so don't ask for gum everyday. (that could get VERY expensive!).
Anyway, back to the story. I thought it was going great. I showed the girls how to blow bubbles, pop bubbles, and make smacking noises...what a true parent should always show their kids ya know!?
Then it happened....Anna grabbed the gum out of her mouth, and touched it with her fingers. A long string pulled from her mouth. She had broken the two rules. What do I do.?
Nothing, I just told her to put it back in. Next time it is in the trash.
Point of the story. I think sometimes that kids need to be taught to have rules, and guidelines even if it is simply chewing gum.
Another point: You will never feel like such a hero in your kids eyes as them looking at you in awe because you can blow a bubble with gum. :) How fun it was!!
Tuesday, August 19, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




No comments:
Post a Comment