We had a horrible storm in our area..really lots of storms. We started hearing that there were tornados all around our area, some were coming straight towards our house. The one they mapped coming directly towards us had winds of up to 120 miles an hour.
We flipped out. Gathered blankets, an excercise mat (funny we used it for a tornado protection, as I bought it about 3 months ago, and haven't used it), flashlight, and weather radio. Put Anna (who was asleep), on a mat in the bathroom, and told Caroline not to get out of the bathroom.
The storm was to hit our area in the next 5-10 minutes. I was looking out the door and windows, as I knew this was serious.
How do I know....well, my very calm husband was in panic mode. He NEVER gets in panic mode with storms, ice, snow, etc. He hates hearing the same thing over and over on the news. HE was the one flipping the channels, calling people etc.
Anyways, back to the story. While looking out the blinds, I see my neighbors run to their car. I think something must be wrong, so I pull open the window, and say "hi, is everything ok?". She said " Oh, I have a coupon for you" . I said Where are you going? There is a tornado heading this way. She said "Shut up!". I told her my girls were in the bathroom. I thought it was kind of comical, but serious at the same time.
I am SO glad I saw them before they left. They were heading straight in the direction where the storms were.
I did find out later that her kids were crying because I did say a tornado was coming our way, but I hope they will be ok :)
Anyway, the storms were mainly south of us, and north of us. There were about 32 circling areas which appeared to be tornados, either on the ground, or up in the atmosphere. I was so thankful.
We lived at the coast for about 6 years, and we always had hurricanes. They were somewhat predictable. Tornadoes are not. You never know when they will come, and when you have to be on guard.
So after everything calmed down (at least at our home. I am sure our neighbors' had upset kids, and mad kids that didn't get to go to the movies :(, we were looking at the news, and heard a weird crying.
Anna had still been asleep in the bathroom! Can you imagine waking up to being under a pedestal sink? Now that is traumatic! Poor Anna. Going to sleep rocking in momma's arms, then bam waking up and not knowing where you are, or how you got there, or why you are staring at a toilet.
Poor Anna, Poor neighbors. but how funny is that?
Saturday, March 15, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




No comments:
Post a Comment